The “Majestic Challenge” we started with 107 members will soon encounter its 50 year juncture. These 50 years have seen major revolutions in air history of civilization.
In order to transmit our experiences in creating urban spaces and architecture during this time, we reflect on the long Journey we have traveled over these decades.
The beginning of our journey
On September 1 1967, we started out as an architectural design firm of 107 architects.
Without any foresight of our future or insight into how to win our bread, we began our quest with only a shared conviction and desire to investigate what architecture in a new era should be.
We were fortunate that so many supported our Journey, some of whom have carved their names in the economic history of modern Japan.
They expressed a profound agreement with our founding philosophy when our representative explained of creating a new type of intellectual organization as the basis for an architectural design office.
Perhaps, they too were concerned that architectural offices as then constituted would not be able to meet the demands in size and speed required for the designing and building of urban spaces.
No universal method to integrate individual Intellect with a team has yet been discovered.
Even rapidly developing Artificial Intelligence, already capable of compiling knowledge, is said to have difficulties with true intelligence.
Half a century ago at the start of our Journey, we never thought that our pursuit of “Intellectual creation by an organization” would prove to be so long, so tumultuous and so filled with dazzling surprises and delight.
Here, we narrate the course of our continued Journey.
1. Organization and Technology
- Starting Up : The First High Rise Building in Japan
- Divided by Invisible Barrier
- The “Group Dynamics” Philosophy
- Towards an Organization of Equal and Free Individuals
2. Respect Nature
- One Winter Day, a Sudden Revelation
- A Space with No Nature Is No Place for Humans
- From “Preserve Nature” to “Restore Nature”
- Our First Forest: Inspiration That Keeps Us Motivated
3. Cherish the Individual
- Restoring the Primeval Mixed Forest of Musashino in Shinjuku
- Make the best of limited spaces
- Make Spaces for People to Gather and Cross Paths
- Continuing Pleasant Spaces into the City
4. Create Cities
- What Was Left Behind from Post War Rebuilding
- The Day Our Dream City Became a Reality
- Urban Design Consultation and Project Coordination
- The Past 23 Years for Future Excellency of Tokyo
5. Creation of Places
- Make Places for People to Gather
- Make Places Full of People and Vitality
- Spill out of the Site and Invigorate the Community
- Transcending Time and Boundaries
6. Globalization and Beyond
- The Start Was a Chance to Encounter
- We Knew Nothing, so We Tried Everything
- A Sudden Storm and Then New Possibilities
- Fulfillment From Working Together to Realize Someone’s Future
7. Rooted in the Community
- Challenge to Maximize Potential of Local Community
- Create the Site-Specific Value
- Architecture With Roots Deep in the Community
- Local Memories and Culture, a Legacy Bequeathed to Future Generations
8. The Future Vision of “Environment”
- We Started With High-Rise Buildings
- From “Energy Reduction” to “Energy Production”
- Environmental Engineering Closely Engaged With the Community
- Always Responsive to Society’s Needs
9. Vision of the Future of “Architecture”
- Create New Value in Historical Buildings
- Breathing New Life Into Buildings That Have Withstood the Test of Time
- Transmitting the Legacy of Our Forerunners to the Next Generation
- Utilize the Power of Architecture to Build the Future City
10. Giving Form to the Power of “Architecture”
- Create What Will Increase in Brilliance With Age
- Create What Lies Beyond the Thoughts of People
- Create Experiences That Connect Us to the Future
- Create What Can Only Happen With Architecture
The Path We Have Walked and the Path Forward
- Necessary Things When to Create “Relationship”
- “Cherish the Individual, Respect Nature and Innovate the Future”
- Create Cities Exceeding Various Frameworks Throughout the Ages
- From Our Origins Towards the Next 50 Years